New Balance 990 collection
The history of the New Balance 990
The New Balance 990 shoe is a classic for the ages. Though it was released in 1982, and has been re-released in multiple iterations, this beloved running shoe is now available in your choice of four different styles: a retro design updated with a modern twist; an all-over grey look that's sleek yet casual; a minimalist sneaker featuring white leather and navy suede; and a rainbow version. If you're lucky enough to find your size, it's worth picking up more than one pair because these will stand the test of time.
The characteristics of the New Balance 990
New Balance 990 Features
For many sneakerheads, the beauty of a shoe is in its details. Here are some of the elements that make up this iconic shoe’s profile:
- Materials: The materials used to create the New Balance 990 are top quality. The upper sports premium pigskin leather and breathable mesh. The sole is made with rubber that offers maximum traction and durability.
- Comfort and Technology: The New Balance 990 is comfortable even when you’re on your feet all day long, thanks to its soft lining, cushioned collar, and structured heel counter. Meanwhile, ABZORB® cushioning technology provides advanced shock absorption and compression resistance for the ultimate in comfort.
- Colorway Variety: When it comes to colorways, you won’t be disappointed by the New Balance 990 collection. There are dozens of different looks to choose from—from classic grey-and-white colorways to bright pops of red or green as well as exclusive collaborations with other brands like Ronnie Fieg x Dover Street Market.
- Price Range: Depending on who you ask, the price range for New Balance 990 sneakers may vary; some models are available for around $200 while others can command several hundred dollars at retail price upon release (but they often sell out quickly). As an example of how much this style sells for secondhand online or offline markets, we found one pair selling at over $1K!
The New Balance 990 collaborations
New Balance 990 by J.Crew:
The classic New Balance 990 silhouette is given a new look with a subtle salmon colorway and grey suede upper. It features a waxed canvas upper with textured chevron logos, hinting at the heritage of the brand and paying homage to the training shoes worn by New Balance’s founder, John F. Kennedy (hence, “New Balance”). Although it bears resemblance to its predecessors, this updated rendition has been taken to a more modern state with its unique styling details. The Velcro® strap can be adjusted in length via a concealed hook-and-loop fastener on the insole at each end—choose between short or long depending on your personal preference. The blucher style construction ensures you will have maximum comfort thanks to its durable rubber bottom sole that provides premium cushioning and shock absorption for everyday wear at work or play.
New Balance 990 by Concepts:
Inspired by early 90’s streetwear from the NYC clubs of Stüssy, Concepts brings us this limited edition collaboration sneaker featuring an allover design of pink and white reflective 3M™ tape which matches the signature Stüssy branding logo above on each side panel. This special edition sneaker uses high performance materials such as supple nubuck leather uppers, perforated suede overlays that give it extra breathablity and sport socklike gum outsoles for excellent traction when playing on concrete surfaces or conducting intense workout sessions in gyms across town. Equipped with cushioned insoles for added comfort when worn on long distances and lightweight EVA midsole cushions from heel to toe for cushioning as you step through your city streets or run through fields... You know what they say about New York City: you can take anything from there without ever leaving home!
All New Balance 990 models
In addition to the New Balance 990v5, there are several other models in the New Balance 990 series. Let’s look at some of the other versions and see what makes them unique.
- The New Balance 990 v4 is a great option if you want more room in the toe box area than the v5 provides. Its outsole is also made from a high-quality rubber that provides good grip on all surfaces.
- The New Balance 990 v6 features an upper made from breathable mesh and a midfoot saddle for support and stability. It also comes with an EVA foam midsole that offers superior comfort even on long runs or when walking over hard surfaces throughout your day.
- The New Balance 990 v7 has a sleek design that is perfect for runners who want something stylish yet functional at the same time. It also comes with an ABZORB heel cushioning system which provides increased shock absorption while running or walking quickly through busy areas such as airports during airport layovers or downtown streets during lunch breaks at work. This model has been discontinued since 2017; however, it can still be found online on sites like eBay or Amazon Marketplace (where third-party sellers resell shoes).